Monday, July 30, 2007

Awkward things...

I'm the queen of getting in awkward and uncomfortable situations. I feel like I should create a running tally of the various awkward situations that come my way. For instance, and this is the inspiration for this post--overhearing something you weren't supposed to hear but that you have to address because it directly affects you. How do you start that?

"I promise I wasn't eavesdropping, but...."

"You probably didn't realize I was in earshot, but...."

"So I hear (quite literally) that you think..."

"I may have heard this out of context, but I heard you say..."

Seriously, what do you do? I'm not very subtle, so this should be an interesting challenge... and I can't just let it go, because I'm incapable of just letting it go. Conversation starter suggestions?

2 comments:

Loree said...

Ooh, this sounds interesting!

I'm actually pretty good at these sorts of things. It usually involves an action plan featuring a series of conversations leading up to the moment where you've dropped enough subtle hints to A) let the person you're willing to talk about said subject with them and, B) then allow them to bring it up and then you can laughingly correct them. But, uh, that approach can take a long time.

Otherwise, I'd go with line 4. The "I may have heard this out of context..."

amanda said...

I would also go with option 4. Good luck!

 
Copyright 2009 World's Best Burger. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan