Tuesday, June 3, 2008

(This is a cross-post from Hermits Gone Wild, because I posted it and then realized it was based off of something from another site and I usually put that stuff on WBB. Exciting stuff!)

I'm not sure if it's just because I recently saw SATC and I'm in a fashion-y mood, but I enjoyed this Jezebel post about askliments--the etiquette around complimenting someone on their clothes and then asking--or not asking--where they got it. I think maybe I like the post so much because A) it's not something I've really thought about before and B) the seven types of responses the writer describes to askliments are so true.

I'm probably a combo of responses two--self-deprecating--and three--gloating about getting a bargain. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the connotations around the word gloat, but I'm a big-time bargain shopper (hate paying retail) at J. Crew, Banana and Anthropologie, and I love sharing a good deal. Everyone should buy cute clothes and save money!

About the etiquette around asking the question itself, I'm a bit divided. On the one hand, I can't imagine ever being offended by someone asking me where I got something, but I can be a bit of a willing oversharer. On the other hand, while I'd have no qualms about asking a friend where she got something (I can't really conceive of the idea of being friends with anyone who would give a shit if I shopped where they shopped), I can't imagine asking a stranger where she bought something, but that's because very, very few things prompt me to speak to people I don't know period.

Anyway, just my random superficial thoughts.

Carry on!

No comments:

 
Copyright 2009 World's Best Burger. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan