Wednesday, March 14, 2007

It's 3.14

Yep, that's right folks. Math nerds across the world are giddy today. It's Pi Day. The Pi Day Web site has a full message board called "I love Pi because..." Many emotions are expressed by Pi enthusiasts...

Righteous indignation:

it makes people at school look rather stupid. I have one of the pi shirts from ThinkGeek, and whenever I wear it, there are always at least 5 people that say, "Are those all of the numbers of pi?" A, they're digits, not numbers, and B, PI IS INFINITE!

Religious zealotry:

I love Pi because I believe God put it there to give us a tiny, tiny glimpse of infinity. The circle also illustrates this. How else can we begin to start to imagine His ineffable character? And He's so much more beyond this....

Camaraderie:

I love pi because I, too, am irrational. (We have a lot in common.)

Existential realization:

I love pi because it's more real than i.

i = sqrt(-1)

Oh so many reasons to love pi. March 14 is also Albert Einstein's Birthday. Coincidence, I think not.

No comments:

 
Copyright 2009 World's Best Burger. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan